Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Providence of God in All Things - 4

He calls for Famine, and the meagre fiend
Blows mildrew from between his shrivell'd lips,
And taints the golden ear. He springs his mines,
And desolates a nation at a blast.
Forth steps the spruce Philosopher, and tells
Of homogeneal and discordant springs,
And principles; of causes, how they work
By necessary laws there sure effects
Of action and reaction: he has found
The source of the disease that nature feels,
And bids the world take heart and banish fear.
- William Cowper Compendium p.737

Part 4 of 5



This is an interesting section, the first question I usually hear from an unbeliever, "If God is really  good, (showcasing the doubt that it is possible for God to be good and expalin the state of this world.) than why is there so much pain?

This worldview says the natural state of things should be good and right.  It denies the fallen nature of man and the effects for sin on the world. In is not just unbelievers who are infected with this untruth.  In my heart I still struggle with wanting this to be truth, my bad wv is revealed when I am upset that things are not working properly - even surprised at the fallen-ness of it all.  Plans and ideas do not save, Jesus does, He always will be only answer, because He is the only answer.

We must start from Center accepting that He IS God.
"Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10
So true life begins with knowing God. It begins when a man, oppressed by doubt and uncertainty, hears His voice saying, "Reach hither thy hand and thrust it into My side!" It begins when, standing under the cross, he realizes, as Luther did, "He died for me, for me!" Then the day breaks and the shadows flee away. Love conquers doubt, and the soul, beholding the unveiling of the Infinite in the passion of Christ, cries out, "My Lord and My God!"                   -David James Burrell, "The Knowledge of God"

No comments: