Monday, January 3, 2011

Musings as We Head into 2011

Beginnings are exciting .  A new year, fresh with promise, just like a new day, but in grand proportion, is weighted with hope and promise. 
Last year, the Colossians passage, that He is the Center of all things, was  my reoccurring theme.
Psalm 46:10 - is on my mind for this year.  I focused on this  same scripture my junior year of college.  I had a scripture border that went all the way around my little dorm room. (It was burgundy roses with hunter green accents- haven't seen that motif in a few decades!)
 Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!
Be still - I continue learning to stand in the footsteps of the past - to follow those that have gone before.  I will be intentional in my reading list of church fathers. I am reading Luther on Prayer and though it is old as dust, it's my first time.
Life takes balance, and I struggle with that, still, even in my forties. I keep thinking shouldn't I have this down by now; I don't. I'm a starter - love a good project, helping someone out, chatting with friends, or browsing through a new book -  but, keeping things in order or being regimented about schedules and chores- I'm simply, a terrible mess.  I love to have visitors after Church; however, I am also thankful having Sunday guests forces me to mop floors on Saturday.
Being Still takes balance, I want to focus on stillness of heart resting in Him whether I'm meditating, learning weathered truths or cleaning house.

He will be exalted - He is Center, He is everything, and therefore only He is exalted, it is always about Him.  He alone deserves my worship, praise and adoration.  At church, Pastor spoke of how "the beautiful things of of life are meant to point you to the greater... that all these (wonderful gifts) bear God's fingerprints" -and He is the real object of our desire - the Lord Jesus Christ. 


I've included a link to the RC Sproul website where I took these Jonathan Edwards quotes regarding his 70 Resolutions.  I've read through the resolutions a handful of times this year.  At some point, I plan to make resolutions of my own.
http://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/resolved-grace-god/

A few things Jonathan Edwards said struck me, "We do not seek merely blessings but the one who blesses." and paraphrasing to put it in reference to our family, " We resolve to live according to His will.  Blameless in His sight - it is not to us BUT RATHER to Him all glory belongs."
I had to smile this morning when Pastor started to read his missional statement, I had just written one in my journal yesterday... I don't generally share my prayers on the net, but this one I will.
I am wretched, poor, weak, broken, selfish, and helpless to save myself. Lord Jesus Christ, I am in need of your holiness, glory, strength, wholeness, love and sufficiency to walk in a manner that brings you glory and not shame.   Father God, by your will, through the help of your Holy Spirit and in responsive gratitude to the lavish love and work of our Lord Jesus, I trust you will enable me to walk in the minutes, hours, days, weeks and months of this year in obedience to your Word, which is our perfect rule for faith and obedience.  Grant me mercy, O God, that I may see your goodness in the land of the living and be still and know that you alone are God.  That I would join in exalting your name with all nations, that I will join with the earth to exalt you, that in my home and through my calling, as wife, mother, daughter, friend, teacher I would reflect your goodness and act in a manner which reflects truth regarding your character. 
Pastor Edward's prefaced his Seventy Resolutions with this, it is also an appropriate ending to this year's prayer:
Being sensible that I am unable to do anything without God's help, I do humbly entreat him by his grace to enable me to keep these resolutions so far as they are agreeable to his will, for Christ's sake.

1 comment:

Janine Claire Robinson said...

Your post today holds so many of my own thoughts lately. I have always been humbled by this verse. The very awesomeness of God comes through in each word! A bunch of us gals were just chatting today about the balance you were sharing about. This balance only comes when we leanr how to be still enough to hear His guiding. I am so encouraged by your post today!!! Thank you dear friend.