Friday, July 2, 2010

Love shooting those rapids...


I am thinking about all that needs to be done and choosing to sit, read and reflect a bit. I really like this book I am reading, A Long Obedience in the Same Direction.
The chapters on worship and service have me thinking once again about just setting my eyes on Jesus. He is good and apart from him I can do nothing of value, really. Maybe it partly the empting nest thing, or age, or just plain fresh grace that is holding me in my tracks where I usually "bull in a china closet" through tasks at hand. I don't know. But I am thankful. I am thankful that he is faithful to accomplish what I cannot. Success in tasks,is not the reason I sit and reflect, however, it does make me chuckle to see His provision without me grasping for it when I just wait and trust in my heart. It is a sweet lesson. It is a repeating lesson in my life. I am prone to be idol bound. It's that tension between resting in His goodness and love and my fallen sinful state. What isn't yet but still is being walked/worked out. I am thankful for my failings, in that, it shows me once again how truly loving Christ in his patience is for me. I am wonder filled with His love towards me in ways I don't know that I need. Only when I see steps of grace that He has guided me into do I even recognize His ever faithfulness.
I love the passage in Hebrews 9 or 10 - my paraphrase "He is faithful, even when we are faithless, because he cannot deny himself... but we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed but of those who believe and are saved."
There is a secondary action on our part to believe, but His love is the primary action that compells us to Himself. Irresitable Grace.


His irresistable grace reminds me of shooting the rapids with my friends on Snake River in Wyoming when I was in high school. It was beautiful, exhiliating and I never knew quite what was going to happen. That was partly because my friends were crazy and adventuresome.
His irresistable grace is full of surprises, just like the Snake, He truly does do more than we can ask think or imagine. Life with Christ is an adventure. The twists and turns are many.
Bless His Holy Name.

No comments: