Monday, April 5, 2010

Middle Eastern Hummus, Babaganoush and Pita Chips

E says my Hummus is the best - of course, he's biased, I hope he stays that way forever. I just never get tired of that.
Here it is:
DISCLAIMER: I hate to measure - it takes all the art out of cooking. I am not a measure kinda girl - so the amount are a somewhat educated guess. BTW - my little doublet (twin sister), me not measuring is part of my charm so don't be too mad at me - remember - we get it from our Momma:) Bless her sweet lit'hands.

Hummus
1 can garbonzo beans (drained and rinsed)
1/8 cup lemon juice
1/8 cup Tahini - you can get it on Amazon - did ya know that??
salt - 1-2 tsp
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil ( is 2 tbsp = 1/8 cup - I hate to measure)
1-3 cloves garlic ( we go for 3 - but we are garlic lovers)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper ( this is spicy - use a little less if you're a lightweight)

This will make 1-2 cups. (double it easy - if you want to do more - fo it in batches of 2 or 3 - otherwise it gets over blended)

Throw the incgredients in a food processor/ blender/ Bullet.
I keep it a bit chunky because the texture adds dimension - besides E & K likes it better that way.

Toast your pitas. Quarter and serve.

Making pita chips :split the pitas - Cut them up (this is a kitchen scissor job - sooooo quick) add a little olive oil cooking spray and sea salt - Bake them at 350o for 10 minutes
- You can also add garlic powder or red pepper to the chips for a bit of kick

THIS is a great way to save $$$ - pita chips are so expensive and really the regular $4 bag- is less than a 6 pack of pitas you get at the Middle Eastern store for $1.25.
AND Homemade chips really DO taste better.
It's one of those special things you can add on - with a roasted Kroger (Safeway of the South) chicken and a salad WHALA- Hospitality in a hurry - one of my favorite things for the chronic overscheduler. (AHEM! Wouldn't run in the fam - now would it???)

On to Babaganoush!

It is the exact same recipe - to your taste of course, with one exception.
Substitute the garbozo beans with Oven Baked Eggplant.
Oven bake Eggplant - Split the Eggplant (1very large or 2 medium) - sprinkle with sea salt - bake at 350o for 20-35 minutes. ( I do this as I'm making my pita chips) The eggplant should be soft and peel right out of the skin. Let it cool a bit.

OK - there it is Basketball girlie. Thanks for being my first follower.

No comments: