Sunday, October 24, 2010

Worry Stones, Memory Stone... What to choose.. What to choose?


K had an allergic reaction to a nut that found it's way into spinach dip at Applebee's (cross contamination). She went there earlier this evening to study and to treat herself after the ACT on Sat. Once she ate the nut and had the reaction, she took Bendryll pills and liquid, drank ice water and soda- All the appropriate first line actions. She called her Dad, he immediately drove to her.
After a couple hours E., with K. reaction allayed and in tow, picked me up from the friend's house where we'd been visiting when he got K's call.

About this time last year, was when E. almost died in Morocco from a reaction to a bite of fish - he thought it was chicken. It was late, and with no local Doc accessible, and having decided to leave his epipen home on that particularly international trip ( he's never needed one in past 20 years - but has carried it), it was serious and life threatening. Our doctor friend was able to call on the few minutes left on his phone and explain a triage cocktail of the meds he had available. Obviously, it worked, we were thankful. For the several hours, about 12, I was unable to contact him I fluctuated between praying, being a complete mess, and quite frankly both. My faithlessness was palatable; as was my gratitude when I finally heard his faint, scratchy voice on the other end of the line.

Enter this weekend! On Friday night, K called and let me know that she had ordered a salad at Wendy's to take to her evening of sitting, when she checked the label anchovies were in the ingredients. She hadn't eaten anything, threw the salad away, and was fine just "starving" so I ran her some dinner. Good Job K!

Fast forward to me getting into the car this evening and the aftermath of listening to tonight's Applebee's story.
Me - "Did you have your Epipen?"
Her - "I took both my Bendrylls, I called Dad, and got in the car to drive to him."
Me - "Are you telling me you left a public place and didn't let anyone know you were having an allergic reaction!" (Decimals rising quickly)
Her - "Mom, nobody cared, no one would have even probably helped."
Me - "Do you not realize you could have died!...(3 minute tirade of possible anaphyllactic scenarios)"

At the same time I was tirading outwardly toward my kiddo, there was a very calm conversation going on inside my head. It went like this..."Why are you yelling, you are not speaking what you want to here. Tell her you are so glad she is alive, Praise God. Tell her you are thankful she had her Benadryll, That she acted quickly, that she called her Dad. that it was not worse and that she's not in the hospital - or that she's not __________" Dead, that was the word in the fog of my brain that I could not say even to myself. "You could have died" is only a presumption, and therefore easily said as opposed to "You are not dead" which is another proposition all together.

Within the hour, I had apologized for my disconbobulation, and we were all laughing and carrying on about the Titans win.

I've mulled over this post a couple days, we read Colossians 3 this morning, the Truth there, made me smile; it gives me hope. It admonishes that Christ is all hope, that we are to put off the old self, that we are to act in goodness, encouraging eachother in the truths of God and give thanks. That is the "stuff" right thinking is made of.

Right there in the middleof the chapter, appropriately CENTER it has these few little words... I am thinking that it is the theme of this year for me.

...but Christ is all, and in all.

No comments: