Monday, October 11, 2010

On Little Girls


A & L, the 4 & 7 year old girls of a friend, have been visiting on Mondays for about a month while mom is at class. They are now very comfortable in our home and we thoroughly enjoy having them.
It is such a blessing to have the burst of little girl energy and emotion around. The hugs and laughter makes me tempted to start on a second batch. Not really. We have a great time with them AND I had almost forgotten how very loud chase and tickle time can get around here.
L, the oldest, is very similar in nature to K. and is a no- nonsense kind of tom boy who is very matter of fact. She can not only "take it", but she can dish it too. A, the littler one, who is an auburn, doe eyed beauty, is all girlie-girl. IT is fun to watch her roller coaster up and down her emotions. We are now comfortable enough to insist on a no whining rule. However, it is easy enough to remember just how real and devastating it felt to wait for your choice of a special story. Our Evening:

Stories of the day
Pizza
Video
Games
Coloring
Chatting and tickles
Stories
Chase time
Choosing Decorating and eating cupcakes
Washing faces, Brushing teeth
Pj's
Tucked into Couch - Foot wars
Stories
Prayers
Hugs, Whimpers
Sleep .......and all in the span of three hours...Phew!
"Little girls are the nicest things that happen to people." -Allen Beck

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake, I am still with you. Psalm 139


Hard to imagine, some people throw little ones away.Inconceivable.

2 comments:

WordGirl said...

As a mom of three little girls (who are well on their way to not being little), I must agree with Allen Beck - and with you. Little Girls are wonderful. :-)

EJN said...

"A little girl is innocence playing in the mud, Beauty standing on its head, and Motherhood dragging a doll by its foot." - Allen Beck
Another great one from him. My mom used to say this. Have a great day Wordgirl. Enjoy those girlies - I know you do =o]