Sunday, October 7, 2012

For You

The saints should never be dismayed
Nor sink in hopeless fear,
For when they least expect his aid,
The Savior will appear.

This Abraham found, he raised the knife;
God saw, and said, "Forbear!"
Yon, ram shall yield his meaner life;
Behold the victim there."

Once David seem'd Saul's certain prey;
But hark! The foes at hand;
Saul turned his arms another way,
To save the invaded land.

When Jonah sunk beneath the wave
He thought to rise no more;
But God prepared a fish to save
And bear him to the shore.

Blessed proofs of power and grace divine,
That meet us in His word!
May every deep-felt care of mine
Be trusted with the Lord.

Wait for His seasonable aid,
And though it tarry, wait:
The promise may be long delayed,
But cannot come to late.
-William Cowper
I ran into this in my journal and alighted on it... deep-felt care = promise long delayed.  Mr. Cowper is speaking my language.  Have you been there?  If you're breathing I trust you have, it's the way of Father - to have us needing him - and of course, we need to feel hunger before we seek our fill.
And we, being good parents, feed our children: how much more so our heavenly Father who is perfect.

A prayer from French Reformed Liturgy:

Do not fear, says the Lord for I have redeemed you, I called you by your name, you are mine.  When the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed, says the Lord, my kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed.  Little child, for you Jesus Christ came into the world, labored and suffered; for you, he went through the agony of Gethsemane and the darkness of Calvary, for you, he cried:  It is finished!; for you he triumphed over death; yes, for you, little child, the declaration holds true, We love God, because he first loved us. Amen!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Wonderful for a Monday prayer...

Love you, sister, and I am always grateful for your kind words at my place. Thank you <3