Saturday, June 12, 2010

Covenant Terms

This except from The Scarlet Thread -Richard Booker  is powerful. 

"God says, 'And here are the terms of the covenant.  I'll take all your liabilities, all your sins, all your sorrows, all your sicknesses on Myself and become sin for you.  I'll forgive your inquities and remember them no more.  I'll take all your self righteousness and give you my own righteousness, which is pure and holy and acceptable to Me.'"



This is the part that really gets me -



"You clothe me with your robe of sin, sorrow, and heartache and I'll clothe you with My garment of salvation and My robe of righteousness which is My pure lifeblood poured out on the cross for you.  I'll impute it to you and count you as righteous. We'll exchange natures.  ... You'll partake of My own nature by the intermingling of our blood."



 I don't know that I've really ever contemplated the imputation of Christ's nature on us - on me.  That the kind of "mojo" breaks my heart with graditude. It's the kind of thing that rushes tears to my eyes, and shakes my head in disbelief and incrudulity.



I've said, heard, whatever for years, decades really - He takes on our sins.  I know we have a sinful nature - I guess I have been so dense as not to really relate the two.  It pretty heady, 'heart'y stuff, a good dose of marinating in it might help.



Hebrews 10:14-18



14 For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified. 15 And the Holy Spirit also testifies to us; for after saying,





16 “THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THEM AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS UPON THEIR HEART, AND ON THEIR MIND I WILL WRITE THEM,” He then says,



17 “AND THEIR SINS AND THEIR LAWLESS DEEDS I WILL REMEMBER NO MORE.”



18 Now where there is forgiveness of these things, there is no longer any offering for sin.

 

 

It is not just the forgiveness of sin, (remembering no more); law on their hearts and mind (depicts a change of center, change of nature). Theres lots more to be said on that -justification, sanctification, preservation, and so on and so forth...

 

The contemplation of the Nature Exchange adds sweetness and rest to the understanding- "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." - Philippians 1:6

 

I love Phillipians, my life verses are in that book, and as I read through The Scarlet Thread and jotted down the list of Jesus in Every Book of the Bible. I willed myself not to skip ahead and look at Phillipians, because it's myfav, and I wanted to show a little self-restaint.  As I got down to Jesus in Paul's letters, then I saw it -Philippians - Jesus is our Joy. 

Perfect. Yes. I thought.  Your love and goodness bring joy.  It that Joy that stays when everything else goes away - just like your covenant.

 

 

No comments: