Thursday, June 24, 2010

Bittersweet, Psalm 121


My baby and big crepe myrtle are blooming - both were a gift from my Garden Angel (J next door-I love her) Her beautiful trees dropped their buds in the mess of my yard. With a transplant and not nearly enough watering they have started to bloom. We chatted - she brought her puppy over for a walk this afternoon. W. her husband of 42 years has been fighting cancer for the last 4. She needed to talk, I hugged her, not too long, she's not a crier, and I, well, I don't need much to get started, so it was just one of those moments of unspoken thoughts that we wish never had a reason to occur.


I was reading Peterson's book- there was a lot to think about- as I waited for K to take her driving test today. She passed. She also got her first real job. Big day of blessings at our house. Not so much next door. This evening the words kept coming back to me as I thought our J & I's conversation. They never complain about their situation. J said W says, "You play the cards you're dealt."
Their quiet, steadfast faith is a living reminder, they love their kids and grandkids, love the neighbors kids, garden and give beauty to so many, "We Christians believe that life is created and shaped by God and that the life of faith is a daily exploration of the constant and countless ways in which God's grace and love are experienced." (Peterson) A Pass on a driving test, blooming flowers, a attitude of grace and acceptance of God's providence when facing cancer and looming loss. All are from His hand even though the last leaves a boulder sized weight on the heart. His beauty and goodness is seen in the bittersweet of life. Like the charoset of Easter.
"Faith is not a precarious affair of chance escape from satanic assaults. It is the solid, massive, secure experience of God."-Eugene Peterson A Long Obedience in the Direction

It is all about Him.
Romans 8:38-39
For I am persuaded that neither Death, nor Life, nor Angels, nor Archangels, Nor the Present, nor the Future, nor any Powers, nor Height, Nor Depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God reveled in Jesus Christ, our Lord! (20th Century NT)

No comments: