Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Antique Valentines

Today was a good day.  We had a particularly hard week and we have been talking about getting away for some time.  Yesterday, we made our escape, we packed a bag quickly and headed off - not going anywhere in particular but just somewhere to decompress.

As we headed down the road I mentioned to E. that I'd seen a few antique shops somewhere along that highway - I didn't know if it was 40 minutes or two hours - so  after driving for some time, and seeing no shops we took an exit that looked promising for food and lodging.  The road curled around and I considered it definate providence that inside of 10 minutes the antique shops I had mentioned appeared in view.  We just had to stop there! 

This morning E. had a Skype conference so I thought it good chance to check out those shops.  E. didn't protest- he walks into antique shops with many of the same thoughts, I suspect, as getting out the mower and making my yard pretty.  He does it for the pleasure of seeing my face brighten, period.  Good man.

The dishes and table linens were lovely, and one booth had a whole mess of antique valentines, I perused and chuckled and moved on - a bit pricey -  I didn't like them quite as much as booth's owner did. Cute as they were.

Next on my list was the books.  I love old books and great deals.  I found one book on biblical economics, a buck, what a steal and then to my surprise, I found a valentine. 

 My valentine, from the lover of my soul.  I have had that book on my Amazon list for at least 5 months - I'd never ordered it  because I have it on kindle. I grabbed it up, no price.  Strange.  I took my finds to the register and waited.  The clerk asked me where I found it, "It was on the same shelf as the other", I replied. I paid the $2.28 and walked out of the door, and out of his earshot, and squelled, "Thank you Jesus, isn't that just like you" - thinking - to send me a valentine after a tough week.

 I was no longer wanting to browse antiques, the second shop would need to wait for another day.  I wanted Fivebucks Starbucks and to read my valentine.

 
If then there is any encouragement in Christ, any consolation from love, any sharing in the Spirit, any compassion and sympathy, make my joy complete: be of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves. Let each of you look not to your own interests, but to the interests of others.
(Php 2:1-4 NRSV)

Christ is, indeed, our encourager and consoler.  And now, for another chapter of my valentine.

1 comment:

Onlythemanager said...

Ah, what a lovely day for you.