Monday, May 21, 2012

Ever heard of Tychicus?

I've heard of Eudacus - my mom used to joke, as she told the story, "You'da cussed too, if you'da fell out a window." - not easy to forget (I remember 30+ years later) but Tychicus, he's never been on my radar, not until this morning.

We were finishing up Titus and E. preached on how we are all called to be like Tychicus. Tychicus is found several other times in the scriptures (Acts 20:4; 1 Cor. 16:1-9; 2 Tim. 4:12;Eph. 6:4; Philemon 4:9; 1 Cor. 4:2 and Titus 3) and was very trusted by Paul; he carried the newly penned letters to the Colossians and Ephesians. Tychicus also took over Timothy's and Titus teaching/pastoring posts when they were called away. I didn't know that. Also, he was with Paul at least 3 or 4 years in his travels, that meant he had to leave his family and traveling was not jet setting back then - more like doom and diaster on the forecast. He stayed and helped Paul when he was in prison - what, did he rent a room and just hang out? I got to thinking, why hadn't I noticed him before? I also thought, wow! How are we to be like Tychicus?

We don't leave our families behind or brave bandits daily but.. in the realm of being a wife and mother, we spend our lives helping our perspective point guys work out details in their part of building the kingdom like Tychicus helped Paul; and honestly, most of us would rather not have our work details billboarded... dirty dishes, church casseroles, paperwork, dusting corners and wiping bottoms and noses are hardly noteworthy, but necessary none the less. And we are appreciated, as Tychicus was, and known, by our husbands and as they turn into parents, our children.

Another thing that stuck in my head was that Paul called Tychicus, a fellow bond-servant in the Lord,'sundoulos' which is translated slave. Paul honored him as a dearly beloved brother, a diakonos(servant), he highly esteemed. What a lovely picture of faithful stewardship is Tychicus. Eventhough, I had never stopped to find out about him, I found myself praying to be like Tychicus today, a servant found faithful behind the scenes.

1 comment:

Petra said...

It's getting harder and harder to be faithful and willing servants behind the scene. We want to be seen, hear, appreciated - we want credit. So, this is my prayer as well!

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting at TGS. Blessings!