Sunday, May 15, 2011

Comedy

I have blogged a lot of poetry this year.  I can read poetry endlessly - I really enjoy it- good poetry is not only beautiful and thoughtful but inspires the mind to think in categories of a higher frame than normal discourse.  I like that.  I admire that.  My daughter likes to write and is very analytical in her approach to learning.  This has served her well, and because of  wonderful mentors, she is honing her writing skill and I am, rarely not, in awe of her writings and poetry.  The gift of covenantal succession is lovely indeed.  She shared a few poems with me last night from her legacy journal.  I asked if I could blog them and she assented.

The first is one she wrote a couple of years ago to Oscar Wilde's "The Happy Prince".  The short version of that story goes something like - there was a statue called the Happy Prince that was covered in gold leaf while inside made of lead. One day a raven who was flying north stopped to perch on his shoulder. The Prince had seen all the poverty and sadness around him so he asked the raven for help. He asked him to take his golden sword and give it to the poor. After doing this, the raven returned. The Prince asked the raven to help him again by plucking out his ruby eyes to give to the poor. The raven worried, saying soon winter would come and he would freeze but he helped anyway. When the raven returned the Prince asked him to peel off his golden skin for the poor, and, with a heavy heart knowing both he and the Prince would perish, the raven peeled off the Prince's skin and gave it to the poor. The raven, freezing, stayed by the remains of the statue until he fell to the street below, dead. The townsmen saw how ugly the prince looked and decided to melt his lead for a statue of the govenor. However, his heart would not melt. The townsmen then threw it away, along with the carcass they found at the foot of the statue. The story ends relaying that these two objects were the treasures of God.

Comedy
Behold I am the Happy Prince
Outside adorned yet inside dense
With baser ore. You see my gold
Illume each dreary street. I will
You, harken to my feet; fulfill
Your gold lust foolish Man. Thine eyes
Espy only my leaf. Lies
You crave so claim them! Underneath
My leaden heart reveals to you
The noblest thing is what is true.
-KCN 2010

A mini poetry lesson from my daughter -  the meter is iambic tetrameter -( ie..the beat of the heart.) The rhyme scheme AABCCDDEFF.  Encapsulated in the center the heart B-E. 
I thank her sweet teachers for training her in the classical way.  The medium is the message we so often forget.
Education should lead us to the beauty of Christ.  I may have been jyped with my public school scraps but God is in the business of redemption - lest I forget, it is always about Him and His story.

No comments: