Wednesday, May 4, 2011

First Day of Dirt

It's May

It's May! It's May! And the fields are gay
With the growing wheat and clover,
The laughing brook has a cheery look
For the winter's reign is over!

It's spring! It's spring!  And the bluebirds sing,
In the azure heavens soaring,
The joyous notes form their tiny throats
In a wave of song out-pouring!

It's true! It's true! There's a life anew
And a fresh green world it's bringing,
Away with gloom when the orchards bloom
And the oriole is singing!

'Tis well! 'Tis well! That the song birds tell
Of a rapture overflowing,
The humblest clod sings the praise of God
When the breath of May is blowing!

-Stillman J. Elwell

Yesterday, I found out S. was my sweet secret pal was this year.  She has been wonderful!  Yesterday she not only sent me home with a basket of kitchen gadgets; but a planter of herbs. Yeah!   I cornered her country sharp curbed lane a little too quickly, and, ahem, the herb garden toppled.  Upon arriving home, I was forced to get my hands into the plant - and of course, I didn't seem pratical to wait for a change of clothes. 
When I read this poem today - I laughed... in this, my busiest month, what a great twenty minute staycation- dirt under the nails, party clothes and smile. Thanks to S. and the toppled humble clods.

2 comments:

Trisha said...

Jo,
I love this poem. I've been looking for one for our Littles to memorize for Spring, and this is it! Thank you so much for sharing. Enjoy your sweet gifts and the dirt under your fingernails!

EJN said...

That's great. Spring blessings on your troop!- have a great one!