Thursday, October 27, 2011

Planting Trees...

We chose the spot, we dug the hole,
we laid the maples in the ground to have and hold.
As autumn falls, to winter sleep, we pray that somehow in the spring the roots grow deep.

And many years from now, long after we are gone,
These trees will spread their branches out and bless the dawn.

He took a plane to Africa, he gathered up into his arms an orphaned son.
So many years from now, long after we are gone,
This tree will spread its branches out and bless the dawn

Sit down and write that letter, sign up and join the fight, sink into all that matters,
Step out into the light, let go of all that’s passing, lift up the least of these
Lean into something lasting – planting trees

She rises up, as morning breaks, she moves among these rooms alone, before we wake.
And her heart is so full, it overflows, she waters us with love,
And the children grow.

So many years from now, long after we are gone,
These trees will spread their branches out and bless the dawn.
These trees will spread their branches out and bless someone.
- Andrew Peterson CD "Counting Stars"
We just had quite a night with my college girl, K.,... she has her group over every Thursday night, and our curly q niece, R, joins in too - - - so much fun! 
I had lesson plans to write and laundry to put away - I thought I might skip out tonight, but I couldn't stay out of the living room, and somebody had to push food.  And, of course, these are the moments that don't wait.
Many years from now, in this house all alone, more laundry, dishes and lessons will wait, and I will be glad I chose to stop.  There were a few years, I barreled through everything, and rarely stopped to see what my little one was really doing, I am so very thankful, that God changed my viewpoint and put on the brakes several years ago.

I love this song, sometimes on tired late nights, I listen to it, and it reminds me, that all these daily moments are sacred moments.  I want to treasure them.

I just kept thinking,  as they, these college kiddos, were going point and counterpoint about Thomas and Augustine views of moral law -round robin they went - on theology - I just kept thinking -these ones are headed somewhere - amazing.   They will have homes and callings they'll be leading pretty soon - and before they know it - they'll be in my shoes looking back.

I look forward to the days when I get to watch, K and R's trees planting trees - if God gives me that many years.

These trees will spread their branches out and bless someone. 

This is the scripture I pray for my littlest grandone, C.

He is like a tree,
   planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
   and whose leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers,
                             Psalm 1: 3

We don't do it perfectly, we are always falling on His grace, and is only by and through His grace that we even stand - but, when we are faithless, He is faithful because He cannot deny himself.  So thankful for that.

And now on to lesson planning and laundry.

2 comments:

Trisha said...

Jo,
We are kindred spirits. I love the words to that song! I love your Mama heart, too! We plant a tree in our front yard for each of our children. :)

Regarding the Ryle quote, I've never posted it before. It was in my Bible study notes from some months back. Don't you love it? How true it is, and I'm learning it more and more in the darker days.

Many blessings to you as you love your family with the love of Christ.

EJN said...

Trisha,
What a lovely idea, a tree for each of your children.
I was so happy to find the quote - thank you.
Blessings,
Jo