Friday, November 19, 2010

The Light shines forth in Providence


“Thus out of small beginnings greater things have been produced by His hand that made all things of nothing, and gives being to all things that are; and as one small candle may light a thousand, so the light here kindled hath shone to many, yea in some sort to our whole nation; let the glorious name of Jehovah have all the praise.”
William Bradford, Of Plimoth Plantation

The internet is so great for finding where "stuff" comes from. This picture is a writing of William Bradford. This quote is from a link on a blog I follow. Fun Stuff. It will go perfectly with the browsing of "The Light and the Glory" this week.

Sam Walter Foss, in the last stanza of his piece "The Coming American" says it brillantly:

Bring me men to match my rivers,
Continent cleansers, flowing free,
Drawn by eternal madness,
To be mingled with the sea-
Men of oceanic impulse,
Men whose moral current sweep
Towards the wide infolding ocean,
Of the undiscovered deep-
Men who feel the strong pulsation
Of the central sea, and then
Time their currents by the earth's throbs-
Bring me men!


Each time I read this poem my heart explodes with hope that God is directing men with His Vision, Providence, and Heart to rise up and insomuch He will usher in His Kingdom - whether it come in the next 100 or the next 1000 years.
I am especially moved by the line "Men who feel the strong pulsation Of the central sea, and then Time their currents by the earth's throbs-"

Bringing it closer to home, now that I've meandered through the Bradford bit, I get to go to make our first pot of beef stew this the Fall, E. request, carb load for the strong of heart. Winter food is so much more "warm and homey" than Summer Salads and Chicken - absolutely love this time of year!

3 comments:

Janine Claire Robinson said...

What a beautiful post. I am so enjoying following your blog. Thank you for popping over to my blog too. It's always such a joy to meet other daughters of God with the same heart. Have a beautiful weekend.

Keeley said...

I love your new background! This post was lovely; that poem was beautiful.

Happy Thanksgiving to you. =)

EJN said...

Thanks Keeley! I know it's your heart to grow 2 strong men.
You all have a blessed Thanksgiving too!!