Friday, September 14, 2012

Catecismo

Pregunta 1
¿ Quién creó al hombre?
Respuesta: Dios.

Question 1: Who made you? Answer: God
Have you ever learned something in another language that makes you take a second look? Instead of using made - the Spanish version uses created (connotating Ex Nihilo) and instead of say you - the Spanish version say "man" and I am guessing as the universal. 

I wanted to add the Baby Catechism to my Itty Bittys Spanish Class - (just barely 3 to 4's )  So I thought that the translation would be something like  "Quien lo hizo? Dios." I always quesiton about teaching heresy,  so when teaching songs, scripture anything to do with God I get cautious and am very aware of my ignorance. 

I love that even the little bit of Spanish I know brings me back to the question of When I ask - Who made you? or ¿ Quién creó al hombre? it begs the question of me - have I also taught the something from nothing concept- with the wonder of all that God has made- it's center stage when teaching little ones. 

It's my goal to do Preguntas por ninos  towards the end of each week - mostly  because I like them, but I  also need to learn them if I expect to not trip over them as I teach.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jojo,
"connotating Ex Nihilo: This is sooo cool!

I don't know a lick of Spanish - nada! But I had been disciplining a dear Spanish friend who just got saved a year ago out of Jehovah Witnesses who understands Spanish better than English. (I know I'm crazy, but with God.... ;)

So I bought her a Bible that had English on one side and Spanish on the other. I was blown away by some of the Spanish words that I could easily identify because they were more accurate to the Greek than some of the English! Thank you for sharing this! Blessings to you sister!

EJN said...

Dear Diane,
Thanks for your story! How fun! I love that - you can read Greek - that doesn't surprise, it does impress me... it also, makes me think maybe I can learn some Greek, too. Thank you for being a wonderful example of a woman that loves God with her mind, will and emotion. Good footsteps to follow.
Grace in the Journey, Peace in the Traverse and JOY through every bit of it!
Love to you, Dear One!
Jojo

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! Jojo - Thanks for the nice compliment but... no, I don't read Greek! I just know a few words here and there and I use the Interlinear Bible when I want to look up the Greek word. But my hubby and son-in-law read Greek though. :)